FAQ — Vortrak


What Cover is Comparable to the Discontinued BAK RollBAK for a 2013 Ford F150?

F150 Owner: I'm looking for a locking mechanism for a BAK retractable bed cover. The stock number was R15309. I've called BAK and they no longer make that bed cover, so they don't have any parts in stock. I'm just looking for something. What's happened is, I've got one of the latches on the bed cover that has become inoperable so I need to replace that whole system in there.

Shawn: Okay. It looks like, if they don't have anything, I'm not going to be able to get anything either because I just sell their parts and I get stuff from them.

F150 Owner: I don't even have a part number. I don't have the manual and stuff for the cover so...

Shawn: Yeah, and I'm looking. Let me see here, so it's a BAK...

F150 Owner: It's a retractable, and I was told that there's a solid piece that runs- I've not been underneath the cover, or haven't folded it up to look at it- but I know that there's a little plastic hook exert that comes out of the side of the cover on each side and one of them is not there. And I don't know whether it's hung up in there or whether it's broken off. I think it's hung up in there.

Shawn: Okay.

F150 Owner: And I don't know whether that can be taken apart and fixed or not. I've got the model number.

Shawn: Okay, what's that model number?

F150 Owner: R15309.

Shawn: So the RollBAK...

F150 Owner: It's a RollBak retractable cover, aluminum cover, I think. Yeah, they used aluminum cover, yeah. I thought maybe they still make those covers, but they said that they don't make that particular cover. Well that's fine, but the locking system should be the same on all units, I would think, unless they had a problem with that particular one and they've just discontinued using that unit.

Shawn: Yeah, the cover that they have on it now is totally updated with new parts.

F150 Owner: What is the name of the new cover they've got out now?

Shawn: It's called the "Vortrak."

F150 Owner: Okay. I'm just wondering, but is its spring retractable like the other unit was?

Shawn: I'm looking here... let's see...

F150 Owner: You know, if we could get ahold of a manual for the other unit and look at the manual on this one, and see if the latching system would be identical then it should fit.

Shawn: I'm looking now here...

F150 Owner: I've talked to a couple of local truck accessory places, and they told me that they discontinued using BAK because they had so much trouble with it, so maybe they don't have a good track record.

Shawn: Yeah, I've not heard of a whole lot of issues with them.

F150 Owner: You guys probably handle more than the two local dealers here.

Shawn: Right. Yeah I'm looking here, and the latching mechanism's just totally different between the Vortrak and the RollBAK, unfortunately. Got an installation guide here. Honestly, this isn't the best option, but I could sell you a Vortrak since it's a comparable cover. But I don't know if that's what you're looking to do today.

F150 Owner: Well, I'd like to get the one I've got repaired if I can.

Shawn: Right. Yeah, and I'd love for you to do that too, man, but if you've already talked to them, and I'm sitting here looking, I can't find anything at my supplier's for that part number. I've looked, and they've got some of the roll-back covers but they don't have any parts, and they don't even have that model number either.

F150 Owner: What would a Vortrak unit cost me from you guys?

Shawn: What kind of truck is it?

F150 Owner: It's an F150, 2013. four-door with a 5'6 bed.

Shawn: Okay. I just sent you a quote via email, and I included a discount. 

F150 Owner: Okay. Well, let me think about this. I'll take a look and call you back. Thanks for your help

F150 Owner: Okay. You're welcome.